Friday, February 25, 2011

The times... they are a changin'

We have emerged from the most miserable time of year... the months when the sun is not up when you leave for work but has already set by the time you walk out of the office at 5:00pm. It is hard to drag yourself through the days and after 9 weeks of this you start to think that the sun has forever given up on London. The only light at the end of the tunnel is the train and it is coming straight for you. You long for the days of walking through the park at 8:30 pm with your sunglasses on and then question if those memories are real or just your vitamin D deprived brain playing cruel tricks on you...

And then you catch a glimpse of a tinsy flower bud popping its head out of the sun deprived earth. There is nothing like it... okay well maybe there are better moments in the world but to a Florida Girl living in London, trying to survive the dark, this is a pretty amazing feeling ;-)

I saw the first buds several weeks ago and then made a point to walk through a park at least once a day. But like a watched pot never boils... a watched buttercup never blooms. I stared to worry that the cold winter, lack of sun, excessive rain, snow... you get the point... had done the poor little wild flowers in this year. I put them to the back of my brain and got on with the day to day.

And then today happened. First, I noticed a neighbors window box was full of daffodils. Bright yellow, standing tall, waving at me in the breeze. I started to get a little excited and stood staring at them until I realised said neighbor was looking at me through the window. I wanted to skip away but figured she was still watching and I was carrying my laptop and gym bag which making skipping a bit cumbersome. So I casually made a bee line to St John's Wood Church Gardens and what I found was a glorious site...

Buttercups, Crocus, Snowdrops, and Daffodils... oh my!

Now... we are not out of the woods yet. There is still a lot of rainy, cold days and limited sunshine to get through but I think I have decided the light I see at the end of the tunnel isn't the train after all!

No comments: