Tuesday, June 10, 2008

101 reasons we know I have control issues...

So we survived the 1st open house. However, Chris and I spent the week leading up to Sunday's open house cleaning, organizing and stressing (that was just me) over every detail. Obviously Chris's participation in the weeks activities were purely out of obligation to me. I don't know what it is but the thought of strangers in my home totally freaks me out! I want everything to be perfect, so I refolded everything in the linen closet and sorted things by color, I made Chris clean out the cabinet under the sink, I cleaned out the bathroom cabinets and I even sorted my dresser drawers! OK, I am painfully aware that people do not open dresser draws while looking at houses but I had this internal drive to clean them and could not stop... I think we all know I have some controlling personality (thanks Marshree Chastain for your expert insight and diagnosis... I will never consider therapy again!) things going on, however, I think that this is boarding on compulsive. Who does things like this?

Now, the good thing in all of this hard work... our house looks immaculate! We make the bed everyday and do dishes right away. The closets are organized and it is amazingly easy to find everything we are looking for... unless of course it is something that I mistakenly gave away to Goodwill or trashed! The yard sale is this weekend so we have a heaping pile of stuff in the basement (which I made Chris organize prior to the open house!) It will be nice for that to be gone but I have realized that once the big move gets closer we will likely have to have a second sale! I am pretty sure we will sell most of our furniture. The more we think about it the less it makes since to store things. We will have to store some stuff... my iron bed and others pieces that are antiques and family heirlooms... but why store things that we can "easily" replace.

So back to the Open House... it was Sunday from 3 to 5. The good news: we had visitors. The bad news: they were all neighbors! The realtor says that anyone is better than no one but I was hoping at least one serious looker would come and give us hope. Apparently, we got some good feedback from the fliers that were emailed out to all agents which is good as well. Chris keeps reminding me that we have had the house on the market for 2 weeks only but I am just anxious for it to happen. I think it is partly because I am sad to be selling the place so I want it to hurry up and happen... kind of like removing a band-aide; we all know it hurts less if you just rip that sucker off as quickly as possible . However, I think the real reason I am stressing is because... what for it... I can not stand things being out of my control! I know... shocker! We can't really set a true move date until the house sells so not only is selling the house out of my control but so is the day we are moving! For the love of all things good in this world, please let this house sell quickly before I need medication or hospitalization to help me cope!

And then there is the work issue. I try to be nonchalant about what my employment situation will be once in London. However, the truth is that I am a little freaked out. I have been doing this child welfare stuff for so long that I am worried I won't be able to find something else. I really want this to be an opportunity for me to expand into the "business" world. But I have no real idea of what I want to do. Event planning is what I keep saying but I am not sure I even know what that means. Remember that test we all took in the 8th or 9th grade that said what we would be "good" at? Well, if anyone has a copy of that test please send it to me because I need some direction! Almost 30 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! And yes I said almost!!

One last thing.... Chris received the official and correct offer in the mail. He has signed the offer letter and accepted the position but we have not returned it yet. We have also planned a scouting trip to London for mid July.

Until next time.....

No comments: