Thursday, April 28, 2011

We've been blessed by a Buddhist nun...

It is 6:30 am and we are checking out of Villa Lotus in Luang Prabang and heading on our first Laos bus journey! 8 hours on a bus should be amazing!!
Yesterday was a rather relaxing day. We rented a couple of bikes and round around town. We found a 'local' swimming pool and went for a quick dip. It was a bit rainy and very overcast but the water was refreshing. The pool was pretty funny especially when compared to the photographs on the leaflet. It was down a muddy road full of giant potholes and local homes. I can't imagine what they were all thinking watch CK and I bounce down the road on our rented bikes with me in a ridiculous floppy hat... did I mentioned we found a market selling nothing but knock offs and I got a big brimmed hat...
Post dip we jumped back on the bikes and headed to a temple that the host at our guest house recommended. He said we could see the entire city from the temple and for some reason that did not register to us that the temple was atop a gigantic hill! So up the massive hill we rode to the temple. And yes it was well worth the effort. It was a massive complex of wooden homes for the monks and a huge temple topped in gold. After we had walked around inside a little old Buddhist nun offered us a blessing. She spoke no English but chatted away as she rubbed out right wrist with a saffron colored bracelet that she tied around our wrist. Once she had blessed both Chris and I she smiled widely and rubbed her two fingers together in the universal gesture for 'ow you give me money!' I guess not even a blessing is free these days! The host at out guest house explained that the blessing is meant to get rid of the bad, unwanted spirits and to tie the good spirits to us. Here's hoping this is a knot that doesn't come undone for a long time!
In all, LP has been an amazing little town. So relaxed and calm with incredibly nice people. I can't imagine it during peak season when the tourists and backpackers must out number the locals. Luckily the town has avoided massive bus loads of tourists descending on it all at once but I can't help but wonder what it was like 5 or 10 years ago.
I have so much more to write but alas... my chariot (aka tuk tuk to the bus) awaits! Until next time...

No comments: