Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Weather

I knew coming in to this that the weather in London is terrible... especially this time of the year. However, what I did not know was how awful weather reports and meteorologists are in this country! Seriously, the US has mastered the art of weather reporting. In Atlanta, I could turn to a particular channel and get weather information for my area including temperature, predictions on rain, wind, etc. I realize that they were not always spot on with the forecast. Now let me tell you about a weather report in London. It last approximately 2 minutes and cover the entire United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland) and without fail they say it is raining or snowing. Seriously! Can I get something more specific?!? The meteorologist (if they even carry that title) say things like "Today in England it will be rather cloudy and a bit breezy and now back to..." Rather, a bit, somewhat, a spot of... are these official terms? I think not! At first, I found it endearing and funny but now I am just plain frustrated with the wishy washy weather. Just tell like it is for the 50 mile area that I am in!!! They come on and say, "There will definitely be snow and ice and below zero (which is freezing point on Celsius) temperatures" And then in an hour when they do the full report (all 2 minutes of it) they tell me that they were referring the the northern tip of Scotland!!!

I think what it comes down to is that they think the more wishy washy they are the less likely they are to be held responsible if they are wrong. That and they have yet to invest in the Doppler 9000 ( or whatever it is) technology that even to podunk news stations have in the states. There graphics are reminiscent of the 1970's and it is impossible to tell what the pictures are trying to tell me... is it cloudy? sunny? rainy? what is it man, what is it?!?!?! I am pulling my hair out here.

I think I see my calling... I just may revolutionize the way the weather is reported in the UK!!! Next time you are in town look for the bald weather reporter... from the looks of it I don't need a degree or any experience in meteorology!

No comments: