Tuesday, November 11, 2008

90 years

Today is the 90th anniversary of the end of WWI. I was lucky enough to catch live coverage of the ceremonies around the UK. I witnessed a 112 year old veteran try to stand from his wheel chair to place a poppy wreath at the Cenotaph at Whitehall in Central London. 3 people assisted him but in the end it was too much for him to stand so the wreath was placed for him as Big Ben chimed 11 times to mark the hour. I also watched as jets flew over the Queen Elizabeth 2 and dropped millions of poppy flowers into the air.

Watching the coverage really affected me and made me think about all the people who have been touched by war. There were approximately 40 million casualties (military and civilians killed or wounded) in WWI! My heart breaks for each of them, their loved ones, and all that have followed in the wars and fighting prior to and after 1918.

My hope for this world is the we can figure out how to get it right. How to stop killing, stop fighting and how to accept one another despite all our differences. Obviously, this has nothing to do with Florida Girl in London but I wanted to share this to anyone that might hear it!

No comments: